About Me

My photo
I'm an extroverted woman looking for my purpose in the world; I've got charisma, I'm nosey, I'm upfront and I will confront you, but I am probably the most lovable person you'll ever meet :)

Sunday, September 18, 2011

brain flu

In the black community, mental health issues are often and regrettably regarded as nonexistent. We tend to dismiss odd behaviours and ignore obvious signs of a bigger issue.

"Oh, he just gets moody when the season changes"

"Remember how rude she used to be? someone probably did voodoo to her"

"Oh dad you're so funny, you're playing that pretend game again. It's me, your daughter. Why do you like pretending you don't remember?"

Sadly, these are some of the comments we make when our family members and friends are behaving--for lack of a better word--oddly. Deep down, we probably know these behaviours are not just random states but rather, clear traits.

I know so many people that need to see a professional about their behaviours but the word therapist seems to be taboo in the black community. We need to reconsider and update our ideas of what a therapist is and what a therapist does.

I mean, we see our general practitioners to get yearly check ups but we leave our brain alone and assume it's just fine. When we get the flu, we go in to see the doctor, but what about when our brain gets the "flu"? We can't just assume it'll get better eventually. We need to get it checked out.

Besides, therapists are great people to talk to. You can open up to them and be assured that it'll be kept confidential. What more can you ask for?

I've never been to a therapist because I don't currently need one and have never felt that I needed one but it's not something that I say I'll never need or want. There's a chance I could see a marriage counsellor before I get married, because I'm hoping s/he can help me ensure I have a successful marriage for example.

Anyway, just thought I'd come on here to share that. If you know anyone in your life that just might need a professional look at their brain, make it a suggestion...or maybe suggest they read my blog.

Until next time,

BoomStarz, MD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think